Thursday, December 27, 2012

Homeschool vs. Public School


If I told you I was homeschooled, how would you respond? Would you criticize me, or would you simply ask me questions and want to know what it was like? What if I told you I went to public school? You probably wouldn't think any differently of me, would you? If I told you that homeschoolers and public schoolers were actually a lot alike you would probably say I was crazy. Well, go ahead and call me crazy because that is exactly what I am saying: homeschoolers and those in public school really aren't all that different. Yes, there are differences, such as, how and where we do school; but even then we are still studying the same subjects and we’re both learning. We also have a lot in common; both public and homeschool students have social lives, participate in sports, have jobs, and both graduate and receive diplomas. How we go about doing all these things are slightly different though.
            Let’s start with school; both learn, study and use books. Homeschoolers have the ability to do their schoolwork whenever and wherever they want; whereas, those in public school have to be at school for a certain amount of time and they have to follow a set schedule. Those in public school have to be at school for eight hours; whereas homeschoolers can work at their own pace and be finished with school for the day in as little as an hour depending on how they work their school schedule. Homeschool students generally chose what they want to study and are usually interested in what they are studying in school as a result. Those in public school are typically told what they have to study and as a result, they aren't that interested in all their subjects. We all graduate and receive diplomas also! A lot of people think that homeschoolers have to get a GED in order to go to college, but homeschool students graduate and receive diplomas just like those in public school. Both homeschool and public school students attend school; it’s just more flexible and personalized for homeschoolers than it is for public school students.
            Sports are extremely important to quite a few people. A lot of my public school friends were involved in almost every sport the school offered. I also know quite a few homeschoolers who are extremely involved in sports. Public school students have the advantage when it comes to sports. “Why?” you ask? Because public schools have sports programs that they have available to their students. Homeschool students don’t have the same accessibility to sports as public school students. Homeschool students usually have to do a lot of research to find a team they want to play for if they are just starting out and don’t know somebody who is already playing for a team. It takes less effort for a public school student to get involved in sports than it does a homeschool student.
            I think both homeschool and public school students can agree that their social lives are extremely important to them. Some of my best friends went to public school and they had it pretty easy when it came to the social aspect of their lives because the school always had some activity going on and my friends were surrounded by other people their age. Homeschool students typically have to put forth a little bit more effort to have a social life. “Wait, homeschoolers have friends?!? How is that even possible!?” Yes, homeschoolers have friends. Most homeschoolers meet their friends through church, sports, homeschool group or other activity involving others their age. I met all my friends at church and they all went to public school, so if I wanted to get together with any of them we typically had to work it around their school schedule, then once I got a job we had to work it around their school schedules and my work schedule. Public school students can usually plan their fun activities around school functions; whereas homeschool students have to come up with a plan of what they’re going to do and when they’re going to get together.
            While homeschool and public school students are different from one another in many ways; they aren't as different as most people believe. They actually have a lot in common! Such as: both homeschool and public school students have social lives, participate in sports and attend school. It’s the execution of all those activities that are slightly different. I was homeschooled, and I loved it. I had so much more freedom in my studies and social life than my public schooled friends did in high school. Most people tend to think that homeschoolers are socially awkward, unintelligent (or smarter than everyone else) individuals who still dress like they’re living in the 1990’s and they spend all their time at home with their families and don’t have any friends. While that is true for some homeschoolers, that is certainly not the case for the majority of the homeschool population. I would challenge you to talk to a few homeschoolers and see how normal homeschool students really are. I think you might be surprised by what you would find!

I realize that most of you know that I was homeschooled and that a lot of you don't think this way about homeschoolers. This is what the pubic in general believes homeschoolers to be. This is the compare and contrast essay I wrote for my composition class!

Being able to decide how you want to school your kids is a Beautiful Thing that Americans have the freedom to do and I'm thankful that my parents chose to homeschool me! It has prepared me wonderfully for college! 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment